The Final Countdown
It is official- the countdown is in the double digits. After all this time of having thousands and then hundreds of days until the wedding, we are in the home stretch. And it is the most wonderful feeling that I can't even begin to describe.
People have started asking me every day if I am excited for the wedding or getting cold feet. Yet it is difficult to fully articulate the level of my excitement. This is no ordinary excitement, because as Chad will attest, I get excited about many splendid things. Wonderful Wisconsin family and friends, a trip to Target, ice cream, walks to the grotto with Sister, magazines, giving tours, spinning with Stacey, Mars Cheese Castle, pizza, late nights in Trumper with Michelle and Liz, shiny hair, visiting Saint Mary's staff in their offices, Pride and Prejudice, pilates with Nikki, boxer dogs, Taco Bell with Haley, Gloria Jeans white chocolate caramel cookie chillers, car trips to and from SMC with Kim, Deanna, and Sarah, anything to do with Humanistic Studies include Laura Ambrose and Simon Schama, facial masks with Maggie, and naturally, anything that involves Chad, including Jade Garden, bananas foster, IKEA, Chicago, the Office, Billy Joel, and the Packers. I get excited about any of these things anytime they come up in daily conversation or as an activity to pursue. So the excitement I feel that I am finally approaching the day when I will marry the boy who I have liked since 7th grade is significantly greater than the word "excitement" can convey.
It is interesting that people specifically ask if I am excited for the wedding. I think it is inherent (especially at an all-women's institution) to assume that brides look forward to the big day more than anything else because we spend so much of our time and money (and other people's time and money!!!) planning this one day that is supposed to be THE DAY, the one that we remember for the rest of our lives. And I know that our day will be amazing and something I will cherish forever. But going beyond that, I am most excited when I think about what comes after THE DAY. Our married life together, which promises to have ups and downs and everything in between, is what makes me truly excited. It will be the little things, like being able to say good night to each other in the same room and not over the phone, which I look forward to the most. Or even cleaning our small 600 square foot apartment together. Because my favorite thing about getting married after spending 4 years apart from one another is that we are excited to do even the most mundane activities since we are simply excited to be in each others presence. Of course, I know this will change over time, but I hope we both never forget what college life was like without each other so that we never take for granted our married life with each other.
Of course, I can't exactly explain this sentiment when people ask if I am excited for the wedding and will continue to say, "Yes, I can't believe the big day is almost here!"
People have started asking me every day if I am excited for the wedding or getting cold feet. Yet it is difficult to fully articulate the level of my excitement. This is no ordinary excitement, because as Chad will attest, I get excited about many splendid things. Wonderful Wisconsin family and friends, a trip to Target, ice cream, walks to the grotto with Sister, magazines, giving tours, spinning with Stacey, Mars Cheese Castle, pizza, late nights in Trumper with Michelle and Liz, shiny hair, visiting Saint Mary's staff in their offices, Pride and Prejudice, pilates with Nikki, boxer dogs, Taco Bell with Haley, Gloria Jeans white chocolate caramel cookie chillers, car trips to and from SMC with Kim, Deanna, and Sarah, anything to do with Humanistic Studies include Laura Ambrose and Simon Schama, facial masks with Maggie, and naturally, anything that involves Chad, including Jade Garden, bananas foster, IKEA, Chicago, the Office, Billy Joel, and the Packers. I get excited about any of these things anytime they come up in daily conversation or as an activity to pursue. So the excitement I feel that I am finally approaching the day when I will marry the boy who I have liked since 7th grade is significantly greater than the word "excitement" can convey.
It is interesting that people specifically ask if I am excited for the wedding. I think it is inherent (especially at an all-women's institution) to assume that brides look forward to the big day more than anything else because we spend so much of our time and money (and other people's time and money!!!) planning this one day that is supposed to be THE DAY, the one that we remember for the rest of our lives. And I know that our day will be amazing and something I will cherish forever. But going beyond that, I am most excited when I think about what comes after THE DAY. Our married life together, which promises to have ups and downs and everything in between, is what makes me truly excited. It will be the little things, like being able to say good night to each other in the same room and not over the phone, which I look forward to the most. Or even cleaning our small 600 square foot apartment together. Because my favorite thing about getting married after spending 4 years apart from one another is that we are excited to do even the most mundane activities since we are simply excited to be in each others presence. Of course, I know this will change over time, but I hope we both never forget what college life was like without each other so that we never take for granted our married life with each other.
Of course, I can't exactly explain this sentiment when people ask if I am excited for the wedding and will continue to say, "Yes, I can't believe the big day is almost here!"
Labels: excitement, married life, the day

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home