Goin' To The Chapel

This blog will follow the planning of Chad and Kristy's wedding, which will take place on July 12, 2008.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Third Annual (and Final!!!) “Groomal” Show

For the third consecutive January, we have attended the local trade show that demonstrates all of the things grooms care about most in a wedding. For this year, I made sure we were extremely well prepared. I finally came through with the labels with all of our contact information (and the sticker proclaiming my status as a non-creep (see last year’s post)).

Focus was the name of the game this year. I, however, had a terrible virus that had not allowed me to swallow anything for the week prior to the show. It was not getting better, and the pain killers seemed to just make me nauseous with my empty stomach. So, I valiantly recused my cake tester position, and noticed that it took everyone else to taste the cakes to do as good of a job that I have become known for. We were just lucky there were four people to take on the role- God only knows the strife that would have occurred had we had fewer people.

One of the first things we did was wander over to an invitation display. I pulled out a chair and sat a few feet away as Kristy, her mother, sister and aunt went to town pointing out differences and what they all liked. Eventually, I got up the nerve to enter the fray, when I pointed out an invitation I thought looked interesting… Kristy said nothing … turned to me in surprise/horror and just looked deep into my soul, deciphering whether or not I was joking … She decided that all signs in my heart pointed to no, this is for real …. So, she pointed it out to everyone else gathered around the table … time skipped a beat as they all stopped flipping their pages and turned towards the invitation and then to me with the same horror stricken faces that Kristy had just given me. For context, imagine that you are at the most chaotic Hallmark Store ever looking for a birthday card for your boss and your friend calls you over and points one out to you in all seriousness- it has a highly detailed photo of a pile of earthworms and says “I dig you” on the front. The look you would give your friend is the look I got from everyone at the table for a seemingly nice invitation. The ladies working the table even looked at me this way. Wow… I left to go buy a bottle of water and cool off.

After that disaster, I wandered a little and met back up with the group, still looking at invitations, but just exchanging info and getting ready to move on. Invitations are the one thing that had gotten tedious, but are thankfully now done.

We talked with our photographer… of course she was adorable. She is building a new studio in De Pere, which we are going to check out the next time we are in Green Bay. By the way, she has a new website which is of course adorable- so check it out.

We talked a little with limo and party bus vendors. Not knowing exactly what either of us wants made these conversations less than fruitful. Either way, we know we have options.

I think that is about it. I scathed off sickness for a few hours that Friday night, however I missed the testing of the wedding cake. Hopefully the four others who took up the slack can be trusted with high honor. If not, I may have to go back next year just to make sure the cake is still okay for everyone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I object! We did NOT give your "looks of horror", but more looks of "polite inquiry" as to why on earth you liked the invitation you picked out to show us. We know you normally have outstanding taste! But that invite was.....something else. lol

The cake tasting was delicious and we felt extremely bad that you could not enjoy. You will be able to make up for this at the wedding cake place when you pick out flavors. I believe they said something about "...don't eat breakfast"

I salute you for undertaking not one, not two, but THREE of these bridal/groomal shows!

Mrs. K

3:57 PM, February 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home