Dress Shopping
One of the most exciting parts of the wedding process is choosing the beautiful dress you will wear on that special day. So since Sarah and I were on Spring Break, we, my mom, and my grandma all decided to take a trip down to Appleton to visit a large dress store called the Bridal Event. The woman listened very closely as I described my ideal dress: simple but not boring, elegant but not old, lace but not like a tablecloth, beads or pearls but not gawdy or too many, a train but not too long or bulky, thick straps or strapless but nothing in-between, ivory or candlelight but not champagne or white, a-line or empire but not mermaid, and above all thing, NO BUTTONS/BEADS RUNNING DOWN THE BACK. But honestly, I'm not that picky.
It was fun because you could choose any dress you wanted from rows and rows of dresses and it would be put in this huge room for you to try on. Then the woman attendant helped you get a strapless bra and slip on so you could easily change from one dress to the next. After the dress was on, you hopped up on this viewing platform that allowed you to observe yourself from every possible angle to get the full effect. With my few (heehee) pieces of criteria in mind, we all set to work looking, but decided to try on many different styles, because what may look hideous on the rack could actually be quite nice on. I kept reminding myself that those heinous buttons could be cut off if necessary.
The first dress was what we call a rumpled bed sheet, meaning it is gathered in pockets or bunches to make it look, well, bunched up. Although this style is very popular at the moment, it is one that my mother adhores. We thought it may look better on a person, even if that person was me. We were wrong. Maybe it's just my body type. Or the bunches.

Next up was the marshmallow dress, which kind of reminded me of some prom dresses girls wore at my high school. After one look in the mirror, I hopped right off that platform and pled for the dress to be taken off. A blown-up white marshmallow is not what I want to most closely resemble on a day when I'm supposed to be beautiful.

The rest of the dresses I tried on weren't nearly so bad. Most were okay, though there were always a few details I didn't like and I even may have found "the one", but I have to think it through a little more. Of course, I don't want to post any pictures of dresses I actually liked because Chad can't possibly see before the big day. Although, he is a part of every decision and I wish he could help me with this one too. I really appreciate how much thought and effort he is contributing to this whole process because it will make the day even more special and be one that each of us will treasure.
That is all for now. Maybe a post to come will cover my mothers and my first (and last) trip to David's Bridal or our potential colors or the flowers or the music or our photographer. The possibilities for posts are endless so stay tuned!
It was fun because you could choose any dress you wanted from rows and rows of dresses and it would be put in this huge room for you to try on. Then the woman attendant helped you get a strapless bra and slip on so you could easily change from one dress to the next. After the dress was on, you hopped up on this viewing platform that allowed you to observe yourself from every possible angle to get the full effect. With my few (heehee) pieces of criteria in mind, we all set to work looking, but decided to try on many different styles, because what may look hideous on the rack could actually be quite nice on. I kept reminding myself that those heinous buttons could be cut off if necessary.
The first dress was what we call a rumpled bed sheet, meaning it is gathered in pockets or bunches to make it look, well, bunched up. Although this style is very popular at the moment, it is one that my mother adhores. We thought it may look better on a person, even if that person was me. We were wrong. Maybe it's just my body type. Or the bunches.

Next up was the marshmallow dress, which kind of reminded me of some prom dresses girls wore at my high school. After one look in the mirror, I hopped right off that platform and pled for the dress to be taken off. A blown-up white marshmallow is not what I want to most closely resemble on a day when I'm supposed to be beautiful.

The rest of the dresses I tried on weren't nearly so bad. Most were okay, though there were always a few details I didn't like and I even may have found "the one", but I have to think it through a little more. Of course, I don't want to post any pictures of dresses I actually liked because Chad can't possibly see before the big day. Although, he is a part of every decision and I wish he could help me with this one too. I really appreciate how much thought and effort he is contributing to this whole process because it will make the day even more special and be one that each of us will treasure.
That is all for now. Maybe a post to come will cover my mothers and my first (and last) trip to David's Bridal or our potential colors or the flowers or the music or our photographer. The possibilities for posts are endless so stay tuned!

2 Comments:
Why anyone would want to wear a rumpled bed sheet down the aisle is beyond me. My rumpled bed sheets look better than this dress. And Kristy, we best not describe our experience at said mass quantity chain bridal store. Let's just not go there.
Thanks
The Mom
Top dress equals Kristy=HOT.
jk.
I put on vote on the top one though. THe other one is just rediculus.
Post a Comment
<< Home